Share My Journey App
The Windsor-Essex Compassion Care Community (WECCC) helps people who are elderly, disabled, or isolated and their caregivers develop a personalized care plan organized around their priorities and receive customized feedback on how to improve their quality of life. As of November 2017, 884 individuals have entered data into the WECCC quality of life system; over 360 individuals have developed personalized plans; and 85 students and community volunteers were trained as community coaches. Initial pilot data suggests that WECCC is making positive changes in terms of increased social support, increased social participation, and increased trust and social cohesion and may also contribute to improved safety and a reduction in sub-optimal resource utilization.
Statement of Problem
The Old System / Workflow
Because WECCC is a voluntary, grass-roots community effort, to control start-up costs, WECCC assembled a series of existing off-the-shelf, open-access technologies for the initial demonstration of the model, which includes an OSCAR Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system serving as a community registry along with Personal Health Records for all participants as the repository for all personalized care information. This was supplemented with a paper-based care plan template and a custom-made web-application to measure the quality of life.
As such, the Volunteers and the Staffs find the WECCC technology manually intensive, difficult to use and cumbersome.
Using Human Centred Design, the Humber Research Team which comprise of UX Researchers, a UX Designer, Developers and a Project Manager created a prototype web-based application that can be used to track community well-being.
An Agile Process
The agile methodology was used in the development of this application. However, the phases of the project have significant overlap with research and development cycles iterating as more information came to light and more features were added.
A Headless Drupal Solution
- A custom integrated solution for data collection, profile management and data analysis
- A compilation of aggregated community data in a variety of readable, graphical and extensible formats for research analysis.
- Algorithmically generates actionable recommendations for individual care.
- REST APIs for the data was created. It can be consumed by both Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets for quick generation of reports without endless configurations.
I was a developer who wore many hats.
- I developed UI components
- Make report print friendly
- Configuring the backend with the frontend application using the Restful APIs
- Performed UX Research tasks at the initial phase of the project
- Hosted the applications
- Creating contents via the Drupal CMS
- Created Unit tests
- Created low fidelity designs using Balsamiq
- Created documentation and process diagrams
Some of the features that I worked on:
The system is made of two parts:
(1) A public survey platform for anonymous members - Click here to access it
(2) The staff dashboard - used to manage the members and anonymous records
- A success Fully-fledged working prototype which is currently used by the staffs at Windsor Essex Compassion Care Community to manage the quality of life of isolated people.
- To date, the system has over 200 records, measuring up to 64 metrics per person per survey, providing 27 charted indicators for individuals and 25 chartered indicators for community reporting in aggregate.
- The system is made of two parts: